Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Oscar Nominations 2007: Interesting Facts
• This year BREAKS A RECORD for most films garnering acting nominations: 18 films are represented in the acting categories— the most in any year in the entire 80-year history of the Academy Awards. Additionally, this is the first time since 1935 that only one movie got multiple nominations in acting (MICHAEL CLAYTON) [this happened several times in the early years: 1927-28 (0 crossover), 1928-29 (0 crossover), 1929-30 (0 crossover), 1931-32 (1 film), 1932-33 (0 crossover), 1934 (1 film), 1935 (1 film)].
• Cate Blanchett is the first person to be nominated for Best Actress twice for playing the same role (this has happened in Best Actor a few times). She is the 11th person to be nominated in lead and supporting categories in the same year.
• The Coen Brothers are only the third "duo" to be nominated for Best Director (the others were winners Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins for WEST SIDE STORY and nominees Warren Beatty and Buck Henry for HEAVEN CAN WAIT).
• ENCHANTED is only the fourth film to receive three nominations in the Best Song category (BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, THE LION KING, and DREAMGIRLS are the others).
• This is the first year since 1996 that an animated movie didn't get a Best Song nomination.
• This is the first year since 1992 that neither John Williams nor Thomas Newman were nominated for Best Score.
• Kevin O'Connell, Oscar's "biggest loser" after nineteen nominations and no wins, has garnered his 20th nomination for TRANSFORMERS.