Tuesday, January 1, 2008

One Line Review's Top Ten Movies and Noteworthy Achievements 2007!

TOP TEN 2007 (alphabetical):
300 (d. Zack Snyder)
4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days (d. Cristian Mungiu)
Away From Her (d. Sarah Polley)
The Darjeeling Limited (d. Wes Anderson)
Into the Wild (d. Sean Penn)
Juno (d. Jason Reitman)
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (d. Seth Gordon)
Paris je t’aime (various directors)
Ratatouille (d. Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava)
Sicko (d. Michael Moore)

NOTEWORTHY ACHIEVEMENTS:

Best Film:The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood
Actress: Anamaria Marinca in 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days (photo, right)
Supporting Actor: Michael Cera in Juno
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Garner in Juno
Director: Sarah Polley for Away From Her
Original Screenplay: 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
Adapted Screenplay: Away From Her

Honorable Mentions: 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days (BP); Away from Her (BP); Into the Wild (BP); Cristian Mungiu (BD) for 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days; Sean Penn (BD) for Into the Wild; Ethan Hawke (BA) in Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead; Julie Christie (BA) in Away From Her; Marion Cotillard (BA) in La Vie en Rose; Laura Linney (BA) in The Savages; Rose McGowan (BA) in Grindhouse [Planet Terror]; Javier Bardem (BSA) in No Country for Old Men; Jason Bateman (BSA) in Juno; Hal Holbrook (BSA) in Into the Wild; Vlad Ivanov (BSA) in 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days; Olympia Dukakis (BSA) in Away From Her; Catherine Keener (BSA) in Into the Wild; Amy Ryan (BSA) in Gone Baby Gone; Juno (BOS).

2007 was a great year for movies; I think it's the best movie year this decade to-date. Although the December releases fumbled the ball a bit, all in all the year came out on top. I've never had three runners-up for Best Film! And it was very difficult to limit my top ten to just ten this year. Also, I was the one holdout on No Country for Old Men-- and I'm sure, with my love of the Coens, I'll come to at least respect it as the years go on.

This was the year for Best Actresses (yet a weak one for Best Actors). I think, easily, the most underrated performances of the year were given by Ethan Hawke in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and Olympia Dukakis in Away From Her (photo, left). If either performance gets an Oscar nomination, I'd be ecstatic.

For my January 12th blog entry (when the Oscars Nominations Poll closes), I'll list my own Oscar ballot choices.

3 comments:

Reel Inspiration said...

Gary,

Thanks for the great list! I wish I had seen "Fist Full of Quarters!"

What is "4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days"? Why haven't I heard of it?

Hey, buddy, why didn't you include, "The Great Debaters" on your survey? I love that film!

(Oh, it might be easier to read if your honorable mentions where a list rather than a paragraph.)

Jana
http://reelinspiration.blogspot.com/

Oneliner said...

Jana: Sorry about GREAT DEBATERS-- I can't edit it since it's already been voted on. I put the honorable mentions in a paragraph I think because I actually hate the idea of them: seems like a cop out to have also-rans... a list would make them even that much more "official." 4 MONTHS is a Romanian film about a girl who looks to get an abortion. It's difficult to watch but quite an experience.

GARY

Reel Inspiration said...

No, problem.

If The Great Debaters is one of your favorite films, you can vote for it at the Reel Inspiration blog!

Jana