Thursday, April 3, 2008

TV Series Not Yet on DVD

When the entire run of Moonlighting made it out on DVD, I was pretty much satisfied with the state of things. (The original Twilight Zone series run has been out twice: so that base has been covered for a while.) There are relatively few series that I'm truly still waiting for. So many came out that I would have sworn I wanted but then when they were released I found I really didn't care that much. So I'm a little more honest about what I really want to buy. Old TV is just too hard to watch/catch up on. Long-running series are just not watchable after-the-fact. It's much more palatable to catch an episode here and there of a favorite old show while channel-surfing, rather than attempting to slog through entire seasons or runs. But some stuff that I have on my rainy day list, like Twin Peaks, are now entirely available, and it's nice to know they're out for when I get around to them.

I have a really short list of shows that I would buy on DVD right now if they came out, as follows:

1. The Mary Tyler Moore Show: Seasons 5, 6, & 7. This is a terrific show. It stands up to its reputation. I've seen almost every episode through classic TV channels, but I was actually buying and watching each season the moment it came out on DVD for the complete experience. Then about two years ago, the DVDs stopped 4 seasons in, with 3 seasons left to go. I suspect if we ever see the rest of the series at all, it will be packaged as one full series box set with a whopping price tag. But I actually do hope that at least this happens, rather than endless limbo. I'd save up to buy it.

2. Batman. The original '60s series has yet to come out and I do think I'd buy the entire run 1966-68. Is there anyone who doesn't find this show a guilty pleasure?

3. Crazy Like A Fox. This detective show was something I watched as a kid and although in my childhood mind it was a long-running show, there are only 35 episodes and one TV movie (made to test the waters for continuing the series: it wasn't renewed). So, for nostalgia's sake, and since I could watch the entire run again, I'd get it.

4. Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Another childhood favorite. And just 88 episodes.

5. The Knights of Prosperity. This is my favorite recent short-lived series. It managed 10 episodes and there are three unaired ones. Just slap it out on DVD already powers-that-be!

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

It seems like I've been waiting forever for "Cheers" seasons nine, ten and eleven. I've always loved this show and still thinks it holds up today against most of the other sitcoms. Luckily season nine comes out at the end of the month.I was glad "Twin Peaks" was finally released on DVD which gave me time to finally see it, and I love it, even the bad episodes in the second season.
I've been waiting for "The Carol Burnett Show" for ages as well, mostly because my mother loves it, and I've been wanting to give it to her for Christmas.

Oneliner said...

I wish that someone would shell out the $$$ to completely RESTORE "The Carol Burnett Show"-- meaning, as it aired as a variety show with the musical guests, etc. I've seen the comedy sketches many times but never a complete episode. The sketches were brilliantly funny but I'd love to see the show as it was seen in the '60s and 70s.