Friday, February 1, 2008

Oscar Trivia Friday!

Here's this week's dose of Oscar Trivia, leading up to the 80th Annual Oscars on the 24th. Next Friday I'll post the answers.










1. Who received the first standing ovation in Oscar history?

(A). D. W. Griffith

(B.) Charlie Chaplin

(C.) Al Jolson

(D.) Irving J. Thalberg (posthumously)

2. In which decade did all of the following people win a Special or Honorary Oscar: Orson Welles, Lillian Gish, Charlie Chaplin, Edward G. Robinson, Groucho Marx, Jean Renoir, Mary Pickford, and Laurence Olivier.

(A.) The 1930s

(B.) The 1950s

(C.) The 1970s

(D.) The 1990s

3. Which of the following never happened?

(A.) An unknown man accepted no-show Alice Brady’s Best Supporting Actress Oscar and walked off with it, never to be seen again in 1938.

(B.) Helen Grigor, a high school student, roller skated across the stage and attempted to snatch Joanne Woodward’s Oscar from her in 1958.

(C.) Stan Berman, a cabdriver, appeared onstage with a homemade Oscar for Bob Hope in 1962.

(D.) Robert Opal, a streaker, ran across the stage completely nude in 1973.

4. Why did presenter Goldie Hawn say “Oh, my god!” when she opened the Best Actor envelope at the 1971 Oscars?

(A.) The winner was George C. Scott (Patton) who had stated that he would refuse the Oscar if he won it.

(B.) It was a tie— both Gene Hackman (The French Connection) and Art Carney (Harry and Tonto) had won.

(C.) She gave herself a paper cut and bled all over the envelope.

(D.) There was an earthquake, which shook the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion for several seconds.

5. What occurred when Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith presented the Oscar to Best Supporting Actress Geena Davis in 1989?

(A.) Melanie Griffith, in giving Supporting Actor winner Kevin Kline his envelope as a memento, accidentally gave him both the Supporting Actor and unread Supporting Actress envelopes, causing Don Johnson to have to run backstage to find Kline while the audience waited.

(B.) For the first time, Don Johnson used the phrase “And the Oscar goes to…” instead of the up-until-then-traditional “And the winner is…”

(C.) Don Johnson proposed to Melanie Griffith (she accepted).

(D.) A protestor stood up in the audience and shouted “Hollywood is a bunch of hypocrites! AIDS action now! 102,000 People Dead! People Are Dying”,” before he was bodily removed from the auditorium. Johnson and Griffith were visibly upset.

*****

ANSWERS TO LAST WEEK'S TRIVIA QUIZ:

Johnny Carson __B__ (A, B, C, D, E, F,G, H, I, or J)

Chevy Chase __C__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

Billy Crystal __D__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

Ellen DeGeneres __J__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

Whoopi Goldberg __F__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

Bob Hope __A__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

David Letterman __E__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

Steve Martin __G__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

Chris Rock __H__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

Jon Stewart __I__ (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J)

(A.) “Welcome to the Academy Awards, or, as it’s known at my house, ‘Passover.’” (1968)

(B.) “I see a lot of new faces, especially on the old faces.” (1979)

(C.) “Good evening, Hollywood phonies.” (1988)

(D.) “Where is that big terrible number that usually opens the Oscars?... The one that goes (singing): “It’s a wonderful night for Oscar…” (1990)

(E.) “Uma…. Oprah…. Have you kids met Keanu?” (1995)

(F.) “… the last time I was here the most controversial thing you could put on a dress was a ribbon. But times change.” (1999)

(G.) “… hosting the Oscars is like making love to a beautiful woman— it’s something I only get to do when Billy Crystal is out of town.” (2001)

(H.) “OK, who is Jude Law? Why is he in every movie I have seen the last four years?” (2005)

(I.) “’Good Night and Good Luck,’ which is not just Edward R. Murrow's signoff, it's also how Mr. Clooney ends all his dates.” (2006)

(J.) "I think most people dream of winning an Academy Award, I had a dream of actually hosting the Academy Awards, and so let that be a lesson to you kids out there— aim lower." (2007)

No comments: