Saturday, January 31, 2009

January Movie Watching


January is the slow month for movies (new releases-- not the previous year's hang-overs). But it's always fun to take in a few low-expectation films... and there is an occasional surprise. Cloverfield, after all, was on my top ten for '08 and it was a January release. Plus, it's nice to "ring in" the new movie year.

I saw just two movies theatrically this month: My Blood Valentine 3-D and Paul Blart: Mall Cop. I admit that I actually did, perhaps foolishly, have expectations for My Bloody Valentine. It wasn't awful, but what a letdown. Paul Blart: Mall Cop was a bit embarassing. It did, however, somehow, manage to drag itself up to "tolerable" by the end of the movie. It's the kind of movie that doesn't warant discussion-- if you see it you know what you're getting into, i.e. a timewaster. I hope Kevin James gets a better script next time: he's a funny guy and tried REALLY hard.

On TCM, I watched Fire Over England, which I'd seen as a kid on AMC (in the olden days). A decent costumer, with a great Flora Robson performance. I also watched Contempt, the Godard film-- I enjoyed it but I think (like many, but not all) that it's really NOT a "great" film. But I look forward to seeing it again someday, despite it's non-masterpiece status in my eyes.

No comments: