Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Great Indiewire Poll -- 2007

Years ago, the VILLAGE VOICE started this great big compilation list of top movies and performances that read like an annual SIGHT & SOUND poll. It contained few Hollywood movies in its high ranking and usually had movies you never heard of. In addition, there was a list of best festival movies that had yet to get theatrical distribution. Then, last year, the list vanished (to my horror), until I realized that it hadn't really vanished, it had been taken up by Indiewire: in the exact same format. In years past the list came out in the first few days of January, but this year it's already up. It's a great list for discovering foreign films on DVD.

Link to the Indiewire list.

Here is the Indiewire top ten (I saw just five of these films this year!). I thought for sure NO COUNTRY would get the 2007 honors-- I'm really surprised that it's not at least #2.

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Zodiac
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Syndromes and a Century
5. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
6. I'm Not There
7. The Assassination of Jesse James...
8. Colossal Youth
9. Killer of Sheep
10. Offside

No comments: