Thursday, November 12, 2009

Martin Scorsese to Receive the Cecil B. DeMille Award

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has announced the recipient for this year's Cecil B. DeMille Award: Martin Scorsese. The press release was posted about 9:12 this morning on the HFPA website... glad they are prompt (even though it's PST, sorry New York).

Goodfellas is probably Scorsese's masterpiece for me (others would say Taxi Driver or Raging Bull). Of his recent films I think The Aviator and The Departed are his best (others would say Gangs of New York). My "favorite" Scorsese films are The King of Comedy and After Hours.

Scorsese was certainly among the most probable picks, and deserving. I thought they'd go with the older Coppola first (or Mike Nichols, Woody Allen, etc.), hence my guess, but maybe they'll eschew those others and get back to the actors next year.

No comments: