Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"Sight and Sound Poll" Released-- "Citizen Kane" out of Top Spot!

"I'm Charles Foster Kane!"
The Sight and Sound Poll has been made public, and Vertigo has replaced Citizen Kane at #1. I prefer Citizen Kane and really did hope it would remain #1. Not to say I don't love Vertigo, but I'm telling you new film buffs-- the ones that always bashed Kane as "not that great"-- will be doubled baffled by Vertigo.  It's impossible to pick a #1 film of all-time but it always seemed to me that Kane was the best representative of cinematic achievement.  At least, however, we're moving forward, i.e. 1941 to 1958.  In the early days of the Poll relatively current films would make the list (although admittedly there was a shorter history of movies).  When 2001: A Space Odyssey is the most recent film on the [critics] list and it came out before the moon landing plus not one not two but three silent films appear, it sure makes the least look creaky.  The rest of the list was no surprises.  The thing that I'm most happy about is (unlike last time) The Godfather and The Godfather Part II were considered separate films (duh!)-- it was such a rip when it landed on the list as one movie. To me that would be the equivalent of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back being considered one movie.

No comments: